- Assessing Vulnerability to Today’s Climate • The importance of assessing vulnerabilities to today’s climate • How to identify current adaptation deficits
- Vulnerability to natural variation within today`s climate may be large due to a range of issues including the lack of maintenance of buildings and physical infrastructure.
- Vulnerability stems, in part, from the uncertainty concerning the rate and magnitude of changes to expect, the potential for non-linear changes to occur, and the long time horizons involved (Dessai & der Sluijs, 2007).
- Use existing risk assessment systems to evaluate current vulnerability to today’s climate
- Consider if collecting more local data will aid similar assessments in the future,
- Assessment of the vulnerability to today’s climate is a necessary starting point
- Vulnerability to natural variation in today’s climate may be considerable due to a range of physical and institutional limitations, including the lack of maintenance for buildings and other physical infrastructure.
- Adaptation deﬁcits should be dealt ﬁrst – If adaptation deﬁcits are not dealt with, the task of adaptation to the future climate will be more severe. It will also increase the risk of mal-adaptive measures being implemented.